Skip to main content

Beeswax candles update



In an earlier post I shared my beeswax candlemaking experience. I went by a receipe that called for 1.5 pounds of beeswax to 1 cup of coconut oil. Sounded good, wouldn't melt as hot as pure beeswax and was for beginners. I didn't realize at the time that there were different wicks for different waxes and different size candles! I had already ordered some #2 all cotton wicks so I was going to wing it!

I put this off as long as possible, I guess out of fear! I was having too much fun with my soaps anyway. Well, two out of 4 candles cracked in the wax. I'm still not sure why? I tried looking up what I could do to salvage the two with the crack in the wax. Didn't find much help. I stumbled across another website that makes beautiful pure beeswax candles: http://www.quietlightcandles.com/ 
 A little bit about them here; In June of 1999 we were transplanted from Holy Nativity Convent in Boston, one of the country's largest producers of 100% pure beeswax tapers. We are a small Skete of Orthodox Christian nuns living in rural Stanwood, WA- located one hour north of Seattle. In keeping with monastic traditions, we try to maintain a full cycle of prayer services, while also striving to work at our handicrafts in a prayerful atmosphere, giving glory to God for His many blessings. It is our goal to craft the finest hand-poured 100% pure beeswax candles possible, and to offer a variety of carefully chosen gift items. We hope you will enjoy our candles and shopping on our website!
The Mother Superior sent me an email in reply to one I had sent that I would endorse their website for beeswax candles since I wasn't having much luck at it!  She was very sweet and must have prayed for me and my sick candles as I lit one last night (one that  did not crack!) and it stayed lit for 3 hrs until I blew it out and burned beautifully!  




I thought that first of all I need to look into the exact size and type of wick I need to use if I want to do this again!  The one I used which was 100% cotton, kind of limped over when lit? I made sure I lit it from the base so that it would draw wax up it, but that didnt seem to matter. Oh well the candle stayed lit after playing with the wick a little bit with the end of a pencil.  I was afraid that the wax was beginning to "tunnel" after about an hour, so I made a little chimney out of aluminum foil to block out any drafts and get the wax to melt across the base.  It worked which made me happy!  I let it burn for a total of 3 hours before blowing it out as seen in the last picture.  Tonight I am going to try lighting one of the cracked wax ones, and see what happens?  I guess I have nothing to lose at this point!!  Please see the original post for the exact ingredients for my beeswax candles.
So I decided to light one of the candles that cracked to see what would happen.





So as you can see, the candle did light.  The crack disappeared after about 30 mins.  I checked it every 30 mins to see how it was burning.  I finally decided to wrap foil around it to prevent tunneling which seemed like it was happening, probably due to the fact that I did not use the right wick size or type for beeswax!  The foil I left on for about 30 mins. It did seem to help somewhat. I finally blew it out after 2 hours.  So, it still worked, and the crack went away!  Good to know that!  Next time I will make sure I have the correct wick for the project and try again!
Thanks for stopping by!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Am Adopted and a date with predestination

The holiday season is upon us, and while it may strike chords of happiness and family togetherness, for many it is a lonely time and brings on severe depression.
What of those who have no family to enjoy?  For some, even the invitation from a neighbor or someone else's family, makes them feel like an orphan in the worst sense; rejected, unwanted, and unloved by their "natural " family if they have one, and a charity case at best.
Growing up as blessed as I was, holidays were always at home with my parents, four sisters and four brothers.  Once married, with four children of our own, it was wonderful to carry on that tradition, and to relieve our parents of the work of feeding and entertaining.
This morning I turned to my book* of daily readings *. 
It highlighted 10 key biblical promises that the reader was instructed to "Memorize, Remember, and Treasure".
Number 1 was; "I Am Adopted" with the reference to Ephesians 1:5, and this is the one I  would …

Feeling Grumpy?

I felt it creeping inside of me, very gradually; day by day it grew a little stronger. I had a strong sense of uneasiness not knowing why or where it was coming from. As I searched myself for the source, it seemed to be growing into every encounter, conversation and expression, verbal or otherwise. I have so much to be grateful for and yet everything and everyone I have counted as blessings began to feel like they were part of the problem. I was short on patience and tolerance, and growing strong on grumpiness and criticism. Mumbling to myself was a troubling warning sign. What’s wrong with me? Is it my hormones? Could I possibly have had that many “bad” days in a row?


I listened to a podcast by Joyce Meyer about having an attitude adjustment as I scrolled thru another website looking at spring clothing. Ha! There was my answer. I need to adjust my attitude, and quickly, before this monster of grumpiness engulfs me completely. Gratitude is my only escape. Thank you Lord, for the roof…

All Natural Homemade Goodies

I had said in a previous blog that I would share more ways you can use some of the ingredients I used for the sunspot face serum, so here goes!   I found a recipe online for these lotion bars which are lotion, NOT soap! They are just the right amount of creamy for me, but you can adjust the recipe to make it creamier or harder.  The idea is, when you rub them against your warm skin they melt just enough to condition and protect your skin.  
I got my recipe out and all the things I would need in advance so I wouldn't be running around trying to find things at the last minute. For this recipe I used 100% filtered beeswax, shea butter, organic coconut oil, and lavendar essential oil for fragrance, although you dont have to add fragrance but if you decide you want to you can choose any essential oil you prefer or just pure vanilla extract which I may try next time. I bought two solid blocks of beeswax here: 

What I would do different next time is buy beeswax pastilles by the pound li…